Family & Community Health Sciences
The Department of Family and Community Health Sciences (FCHS), a community based nutrition, health promotion, and family wellness outreach component of Rutgers Cooperative Extension, provides workshops and on-line resources to educate and support families, worksites, schools, and communities to create healthier lifestyles.
FCHS programming provides access and involvement in a variety of learning opportunities that promote consistent messages about the importance of healthy eating in concert with daily physical activity where consumers live, work and play.
Our programs are designed to be appropriate for worksite wellness, early childcare/ pre-school, youth, adults and older adults. Some programs available include:
- Functional Foods for Life
- Eating healthy on a Budget
- Workplace Wellness
FCHS is a leader in the communities in which it serves and works collaboratively with stakeholders to identify health needs, determine educational priorities, and implement culturally and community appropriate delivery methods. FCHS is represented on numerous advisory boards and coalitions locally and statewide.
Training and Family Development
FCHS plays a fundamental role in preserving and promoting family development and well-being. We provide trainings and workshops that integrate concepts of human development, health literacy, community food systems, behavioral economics and health economics.
- Get Moving - Get Healthy New Jersey- encourages a healthy lifestyle, especially healthy eating and physical activity, through educational programs, a website, publications and targeted marketing campaigns.
- Grow Healthy - a school-wide wellness program where school teachers, staff and administration; children; families; and volunteers all work together to make school a healthier place.
- Walk NJ Point to Point - a program designed to encourage youth and adults to virtually walk across New Jersey, from Cape May Point to High Point. The program can be initiated in the classroom, by a group of friends, or individually.
- Fact Sheets and Bulletins - Use our searchable database to find information on Food, Nutrition, and Health
- Visions Newsletter - Visions features articles on nutrition, physical activity, and health as part of the Get Moving-Get Healthy New Jersey initiative that is a partnership with the NJ Department of Health and Senior Services along with our 4-H colleagues.
- Helpful Links